Irish Postcard Collectors Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/27/2015 10:17 am  #1

Rare postcards

I was wondering if anybody could tell me
what makes a postcard Rare and collectable
Thank you.

6/29/2015 1:50 pm  #2

Re: Rare postcards

Welcome Jim - You're the first poster on the forum apart from me.

I’m tempted to reply how long is a piece of string? I think you’ve partly answered your own question with the word rare. A specific card or output from a particular publisher maybe rare for a variety of reasons such as limited print-run, destruction of printing plates, closure of the publishing firm etc.

The cards which most interest me were published by Scholastic Productions (Belfast) - the company went out of business in the 1950s and left little footprint. The cards are scarce, but modestly priced as there appears to be little interest in them – a case where rarity does not equal valuable.

Many old cards become rare as by their very nature they deteriorate over time, are thrown out by people decluttering and generally their numbers reduce with every passing year.

As for what makes a card ‘collectable’, well, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder. Personally I wouldn’t give a John Hinde card a second look, but some people love them. Even amongst my beloved Scholastic cards there are some real lemons that I won’t attempt to buy, but I still try to gather whatever information I can on each card.

It's Art that makes me tick, and I find the Walter Hayward Young aka "Jotter" never lets me down. I bought the card below for a couple of pounds - rare, collectable but inexpensive. As for collecting postcards, buy what you like and like what you buy. Don't go mad bidding on eBay, Delcampe etc., because just like buses there will always be another along soon.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZfWeMEXQpGU/VZGQ81jgjiI/AAAAAAAAD3M/bnxmsr8w9DU/s1600/German%2BJotter%2Bpc.jpg

6/30/2015 3:04 pm  #3

Thanks David
I really only collect postcards of where i live ,all from early 20s or before from the Lawerance collection of photographs
Some one once told me  postcards that show buildings that do not exist anymore,can be worth a few bob

Last edited by Jim (6/30/2015 3:05 pm)

1/12/2017 4:12 am  #4

Rare postcards are just that in my opinion... scarcity is better term to use as 'rare' suggests great value. It is only what an individual considers it to be so.

Many postcards are considered scarce when they do not turn up often, but never rare in my opinion.

I think that too many people use the term without any real knowledge of the subject/place they are referring to... it is only an opinion after all.

~ send it on a Postcard please! ~

Board footera